You might have heard the term ‘NAP consistency’ thrown around, without really understanding what it means. Experts of SEO services Birmingham has created this amazing and quick guide for beginners to help you understand the importance of this SEO term for your search rankings.
So, what exactly is NAP Consistency?
NAP is an acronym for ‘Name, Address, and Phone Number’. So, NAP consistency basically means that your business’s name, address and phone number are listed consistently across the web.
There are many places across the web where your businesses’ details may appear. Here are a few examples:
- Your business’s website
- Social media platforms
- Google Maps
- Local business directories
Why is it So Important?
Ensuring NAP consistency is really important as it signals to search engines that your business is legitimate.
There is an indication that NAP consistency is a factor that contributes to local rankings within search engines, so it’s especially important for businesses with bricks-and-mortar locations.
Many companies believe they are consistently using the same details across the web, but when looking at this in more detail, realize they in fact have slight inconsistencies.
How to Figure Out if Your NAPs Are Consistent
A question that may be gnawing at you right now is: “How on earth do I figure out if my business is using the correct name, address and phone number consistently across the web?”
Basically, you need to search manually on the web for your business’s name or phone number to see if there are any variances popping up.
If you find lots of different variations across a number of websites, then you may have an inconsistent NAP issue!
Fixing Inconsistent NAPs
There are two main ways you can fix an inconsistent NAP issue:
- Locating every website that your business is listed on (from the sources given earlier in the post). Then creating an account (if you don’t already have one) to edit the information so it matches up with what’s on your website.
It’s a very time consuming process and could take a while. But it must be done!
- You could also hire an agency to do all the legwork for you.
After achieving perfect NAP consistency, you will need to ensure the same name, address and phone number are used in future when signing up to new business directories and similar sites.
I hope this post has given you a better understanding of NAP consistency, and has helped explain why it’s so important to your business.
Just to summarize:
- What is it? – NAP consistency is the spot where you business’s’ name, address and phone number are registered in exactly the same way across the whole web.
- Why is it so important? – It gives search engines a sense of confidence in your business, as they will know exactly who and where you are. There is also an indication that NAP consistency is used as a local ranking factor.
- How to find out if you have NAP consistency – Manually searching for your business’s name on the web to locate variations, if there are any.
- Fixing an inconsistent NAP issue – If you have this issue, you need to locate every instance of the incorrect details being used and attempt to correct them. Or hire an agency to do this for you!
If you are looking forward for some more information in this regard please contact experts from SEO Bristol as they are considered as the best ones in this regard.